Sunday, February 12, 2012

Day 1 of 30

Day 1

As the first day of my 'write a post everyday for 30 days', I had to think about writing something not involving me and not about my life or family and when i was reading an article in thehindu.com today, i appreciate this newspaper for not stooping to the level of timesofindia, and honestly i promised not to visit timesofindia unless really needed, dont want give them network traffic, ok, back to the topic.. i was reading about an article how two young men, who went out of india and returned to the mother land and did a social experiment by trying to live lives of an average and a poor indian, a very interesting and a thought provoking read.

Here is the link to the article

http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/columns/Harsh_Mander/article2882340.ece

Very recently i was having a conversation with a friend and was wondering how with growing income and more luxuries, you want more, and having more always seems less. How as a society we are in a race to be 'successful', successful as measured by the monetary standing, that the human emotion such as empathy is totally lost.How often does a upper middle class or rich person think about someone struggling to feed their family twice a day feels when dumping the food in trash can. As we get richer as measured in money , we seem to get poorer as a person.

You might ask, what do we do, starve because someone in some other part of world is hungry, to abstain from luxuries because someone else cant afford it, to live always wanting more.Actually i dont know, I want to say, be considerate to the not-haves, but who am i to make your decisions.

1 comment:

  1. yes, without being judgmental or lecturing we can just put forth our views and keep silent when such things happen in front of us.. I was one such person Shireen.. in our office I used to waste a lot of food, put it in a dumpster one day my CEO who just happened to be behind me when I was dumping my plate for wash, commented on it in a way not too harshly but not subtly either... to this day, I remember that and be cautious!

    By the way, keep posting, will watch this space.

    ReplyDelete