Sunday, May 24, 2009

How I do my part.

I am a believer of going green and recycling.And I try to do everything I can to not use plastic in my daily life and recycle as much as possible.

Things I do
- Try to take reusable grocery bags when I go gorcery shopping. Sometimes the trip is unplanned and end up using plastic bags, but most of the time I do take the reusable ones
- For smaller things, I dont take the plastic bags.I just pop them in my purse.Actually this can give you some weird looks. Like today, I was at a pharmacy and bought few small things, like my cuticle cream and shampoo.And the kid at the cash counter, put them into a plastic bag, I took them out and put in my purse and gave him the bag back and he gave me the "Are you crazy" look and I told "I am trying to save the planet".
- Buying organic as much as possible.I know this is heavier on the pocket, but if there is more demand for organic, then more people will grow organic and eventually the price will come down(hope!!!) . I am trying to shift to organic makeup too.
- Recyle at home. Its so easy to toss everything in one bag and dump it. But believe me, once you get used to it, it just becomes habit.
- I dont buy bottled water, bought a brita water filter at home.There are a few times when I am travelling and have to buy bottled water.And then too, try to put the used bottle in the recyle bin. I f I dont find any recyle bin, they stay in my car until they get home!
- Use natural cleaners, the chemical cleaners we use in bathroom , kitchen, will eventually end up in our water sources, so makes better sense to use the bio degradable ones.
- I live pretty much close to everything, so we walk to the movies, to the grocery(not for heavier stuff ofcourse!) , walk to the restaurants, walk to the dry cleaners, walk to my favorite craft store...that gives us our share of exercise and saves money for parking and gas.
- If we are going anywhere public transit goes, we take it.Especially downtown, saves you from stress of driving and parking in downtown and is green.
- I recycle the batteries and old bulbs and appliances instead of dumping them in regular garbage.

I am glad that our apartment building has started the organic waste collection program, so now I can separate my kitchen waste and this will be processed to create organic compost that will given back to the community(thats a full circle!!)

Please do your part, though inconvinient at times, it is worth it. If not for you, do it for the future generations who deserve a better planet.
This native american saying is so true
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children

3 comments:

  1. Wow...really appreciate your concern and efforts! I pretty much follow most of the things that you mentioned. Our apartment authorities have started a green drive and we have recycle bins in almost every corner. They recently replaced all high voltage lighting into eco-friendly bulbs. Lot more changes in progress as well..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Hema, Good to know that you are following it too.More the people are conscious more,easier it is keep our planet green :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice one shireen, you are making people aware of what is good :)
    I do most of my part too. Hope people following your blog will do it as well
    Great Job!

    ReplyDelete