Thursday, May 14, 2009

Exercise and Me

Went to gym yesterday after 3 months break and today my muscles are punishing me. My family has history of Diabetes, Thyroid problem, Heart problem. My elder brother hasnt reached 40 yet and already had heart attack.The only way I can be healthy is by preventing them. And as we all know that takes eating well and exercising.

I was pretty well focused before my India trip, oh yeah of course I wanted to look good in my saris. But after my trip, my excuse was "I am homesick...don't feel like working out" and after that "Oh... its too cold" and when the weather started to get better "imm...I don't feel like". I was getting good at finding excuses for not having to go to the gym.

Thanks to my neighbor at work, she pushed me to get to gym and while I was there, I disinterestedly got on the treadmill and got a couple of magazines to keep company during my boring workout. And one of the magazines I picked was about running and I stopped at the article about a breast cancer survivor ,who if I remember correctly ran 21 marathons after she was diagnosed. Well, if she can do it, then anyone can do it. It gave me motivation to finish my 35 min power walk and also did some weights, felt really good.

The reward dint come until this morning, when my muscles were screaming pain. But I'd rather be at the gym than at the hospital, so planning to work out at least 2-3 times a week. Lets see how that goes.

Here's to keep me motivated...a quote by Gautam Buddha
"Every human being is the author of his own health or disease"

On that note....signing off for the day

No comments:

Post a Comment