Saturday, August 22, 2009

Run for cure

It was last year when I saw a big crowds of people braving the rain and running/walking on the Yonge Street.As I watched them from my balcony dry and warm while they were out there in cold and rain for a cause they believed in,for a second I was ashamed that I wasn't there.I told myself next year I will be running with those people.Well, I probably can't run but for sure will walk :) . I have been bad at keeping my fitness goals and don't think my body can take the physical exertion of a run.But still I will walk and do my part in finding a cure for a disease no woman should ever get.

Yes I am talking about 'CIBC Run for Cure' . The money raised from this single day event is spent in various activities related to Breast Cancer.Finding a cure, awareness, and support.
Here are more details of this event here.

Fortunately cancer hasn't touched anyone in my family..(knock on wood).But I have seen both my parents undergo major surgeries, and know the pain the family members have to go through first hand. And if I can help several thousand families from that pain I would consider my life worth it.

I had made up my mind, but dint know where to start, where to enrol. At work while having lunch with my regular lunch group I mentioned I wanted to be part of the run this year and there you go they said many groups were formed at work and I could be part of any group. And in a few days, a religious runner from IT was starting a team like he did every year and sent me mail to join his team and voila there I was part of his team.

Now comes the money part. Either I could pay $40 registration or raise $150 . I told him I was gonna pay $40 and register coz I am not very good at soliciting donations. He said, "Give it a try..if you cant raise 150 you can still pay 40 and register".I reluctantly said OK.And another reason I said ok was , a part of $40 registration goes towards administration cost and a part of it goes to the research fund.Whereas any money raised as donation will mostly go towards research.

I have to admit, I suck at these things, cant ask anyone for money for any cause, lest they think of me as someone taking advantage of the friendship/acquaintance.But I still am doing it for a cause that is much above me.So, dear friends, please sponsor me for the run, here is where you can do it
https://www.cibcrunforthecure.com/html/p.asp?t=3401708&l=1

If you are wondering how much, any amount is fine $1 or $10 . Or the money you spend on a coffee, on a muffin or on a doughnut.Any amount is just fine. For what is worth your coffee/muffin/doughnut will probably find a cure for breast cancer, or provide support to someone already suffering or provide awareness that will help women being detected earlier.

2 comments:

  1. Good one.. will follow on it :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for letting us know, good to know that our few cents will be helpful for a cure.

    ReplyDelete